Commitment to the border triangle
Stadler is due to the currency situation and the labor cost levels in Switzerland while maintaining a high export share is still under high pressure on margins. The plant in Altenrhein was created almost 100 years ago by Claude Dornier for aircraft. It is therefore not optimally aligned to the requirements of a competence center for double-deck trainsets. In order to hold on location in Switzerland, an increase in efficiency is necessary, which is to be achieved with the construction of the Stadler plant in St. Margrethen. Thanks to the great support from the canton of St. Gallen, the community of St. Margrethen and the land owner HIAG the rail vehicle manufacturer has found in St. Margrethen in some 65,000 square meters Altfeldareal land, which offers optimal conditions also because of the existing siding.
Is a planned production and storage area of 35,000 square meters, as well as air conditioning in offices and meeting rooms to 5000 square meters. The new building provides a process optimization and optimal production possibilities to increase efficiency. A modern canteen for the employees as well as the optimal access to public and private transport are further advantages of relocation.
The investment is a clear commitment to Switzerland as the location and in the border region.
“This shows that we believe in the workplace Switzerland and defend it even in difficult times.”
“Economic stimulus for the region”
The St. Gallen Councilor Benedikt Wurth reaffirmed at the groundbreaking ceremony in St. Margrethen that the success story of Stadler in canton St. Gallen reached another milestone:
“The rapid growth of the company who first sparked new life in the industrial area Altenrhein, is now in St . Margrethen written the next chapter. This will lead to another important economic impulses and opportunities for the whole region. but the project also demonstrates once again the importance of a good cooperation between authorities and businesses. ”
“Moving from Stadler to St. Margrethen results in a high quality and forward-looking new use of the station near Altfeldareals. We expect this great impetus to the development community.”
Competence Center for Double trainsets
At the site of Stadler Altenrhein today is the competence center for KISS double-deck trainsets. The work was originally founded in 1924 by Claude Dornier as Dornier works Altenrhein AG. In order for the aircraft made there could stand directly from the factory, airfield, which began operations in 1927 originated in Altenrhein. In Altenrhein also the world’s largest ever built seaplane Do X was assembled and tested in Switzerland. From 1949 the flight and Fahrzeugwerke Altenrhein AG was made Dornier (FFA) and the company began to build cars. The wagon has become an important pillar of the FFA, the Rhaetian Railway were built in Altenrhein among others all vehicles – even today. In 1987, the FFA was sold to the Schindler Holding. The wagon was kept at the site and Schindler formed a second wagon-subsidiary, Schindler Waggon Altenrhein (SWA). In 1997, Stadler has saved the work before closing and adopted by the SWA – including the workforce of 67 employees. Two years after the launch of the articulated railcar (GTW) which corresponded to a doubling of the number of employees Stadler.
Today, develop manufacture and assemble at the site in Altenrhein around 1,000 people to over 49,000 square meters of production and warehouse space next to KISS trains and trams, meter gauge railway vehicles and passenger cars for the Swiss and international markets. The engineering department with 250 highly qualified staff provides in addition to the development work for the vehicles produced at the site also provides services for the whole Stadler Group, including as a competence center for all calculations and approvals. The box detail production with about 50 to 70 employees will remain in Altenrhein.